CELPIP Speaking Templates 2026: Master the Speaking Section with Ease

The CELPIP Speaking section is 8 tasks in about 15 to 20 minutes, recorded into a microphone with no human examiner and very little prep time per task. The fastest way to stop freezing is to walk in with a template for each task type so you are filling in a structure, not inventing one under pressure. Below are the 8 tasks and a reusable template for each, updated for the 2026 computer-delivered test.

CELPIP Speaking format in 2026

Speaking is the last section of the CELPIP-General test. You get 8 tasks, roughly 15 to 20 minutes total, each with a short prep time (often 30 seconds) and a short speaking time (60 to 90 seconds). You speak into a microphone and the response is scored later, so there is no back-and-forth with an examiner. Source: CELPIP official test format.

The 8 speaking tasks and a template for each

Task 1: Giving advice

Template: State your advice clearly, give two reasons, add a short example, then close. "If I were you, I would... The main reason is... For example... So overall, I think you should..."

Task 2: Talking about a personal experience

Template: Set the scene (when and where), say what happened, say how you felt, and why it mattered. Past tense throughout. "This happened when... What happened was... I felt... It mattered because..."

Task 3: Describing a scene

Template: Move through the picture in order, using present continuous and location words. "In the foreground... On the left... In the background... It looks like..." Describe people, actions, and setting, not your opinion.

Task 4: Making predictions

Template: Continue from the scene you just described. Predict what will happen next for each person or object. "The man is probably going to... After that, they will likely... I think the result will be..."

Task 5: Comparing and persuading

Template: Pick one option, give two strong reasons it beats the other, and address the listener directly. "I would choose... over... First... Second... That is why I think this is the better choice for you."

Task 6: Dealing with a difficult situation

Template: Choose your approach, stay polite and solution-focused, and propose a fix. "I understand this is difficult. What I would suggest is... That way, we can... I hope that works for you."

Task 7: Expressing opinions

Template: State your position, give two reasons with examples, acknowledge the other side briefly, and restate. "In my opinion... First... Second... Some people might say... but I still believe..."

Task 8: Describing an unusual situation

Template: Describe what you see factually, then explain what is unusual or unexpected about it. "In this picture I can see... What is unusual is... It seems strange because..."

Speaking tips that raise your band

  • Use the prep time to pick your template and one example, not to write a script.
  • Keep talking until time is up. Silence hurts more than a small mistake.
  • Vary your sentence length and use linking words (first, then, however, so).
  • Speak at a natural pace with clear intonation. Fluency matters more than big words.
  • Practice with a timer so 30 seconds of prep feels normal.

Frequently asked questions

How many speaking tasks are on the CELPIP test?

The CELPIP-General Speaking section has 8 tasks, completed in about 15 to 20 minutes. Each has a short preparation time and a short recording time, and you speak into a microphone rather than to a live examiner.

Do CELPIP speaking templates actually help?

Yes. Templates give you a ready structure for each task type, so you spend your prep time choosing content instead of inventing a format. That reduces pauses and keeps your answer organized, which supports a higher band.

How long do you speak for each CELPIP speaking task?

Most tasks give roughly 30 seconds of preparation and 60 to 90 seconds of speaking. Aim to use the full speaking time, since stopping early leaves points on the table.

How can I score higher on CELPIP speaking?

Use a template for each task, keep talking until time is up, use linking words, vary sentence length, and speak at a clear, natural pace. Fluency and organization matter more than advanced vocabulary.

Related reading on this blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mastering CELPIP 2026: Tips and Tricks to Pass the Test

CELPIP Writing Templates 2026: Score Band 10+ on Email & Survey